Offset of a moving average?
Author: kvmp
Creation Date: 8/19/2010 9:15 AM
profile picture

kvmp

How can I move back say a 5 period EMA by 3 periods
profile picture

Eugene

Hit F11 to open the QuickRef tool, then click on "DataSeries Object" to read how to shift a data series.
profile picture

Cone

Just a note on your terminology. While you can perform a "move back" operation with <<, almost for sure it's something that you don't want to do in a Trading Strategy because it automatically creates a peeking condition. Instead, to "move forward" or "delay" a series, use >>.
profile picture

kvmp

Thank you Eugene and Cone,

It worked, but with a little problem. I shifted the EMA to the left. At the end the plotted EMA had a vertical line going right up to zero price. The script was:
CODE:
Please log in to see this code.

Thanks for your help
profile picture

Eugene

This is not a problem, this is 1) exactly by design and 2) the incorrect (peeking) usage.

You're shifting future values to the past, so obviously, the 3 values (<<3) will be 0 because we can't see 3 bars to the future.
profile picture

kvmp

Thank you Eugene and Cone for your help. In WL4, fundtimer developed the following script:

QUOTE:
{Offset EMA}
const Offset = 3;
var {Bar,} EMA11: integer;
EMA11 := OffsetSeries(EMASeries( #Close, 3), Offset);
for Bar := 3 to BarCount-1-Offset do
SetSeriesBarColor(Bar,EMA11,990);
for Bar := BarCount-1 downto BarCount-0-Offset do
@EMA11[Bar] := @EMA11[BarCount-1-Offset-0];
for Bar := BarCount-1 downto BarCount-0-Offset do
SetSeriesBarColor(Bar,EMA11,#Black);
PlotSeries( EMA11, 0, 0, 2 );

This assigns, say, yellow color to the shifted EMA, Then by assigning the same value to the last 3 days (= the value of the 4th day), and the color as that of the background (in this case black), the composite yellow EMA stands out without the last 3 days going to zero.

I translated this script to WL5, the whole composite EMA picks up the color assigned to the last 3 days. The translated script is:

CODE:
Please log in to see this code.

The script needs a little touch up to have different colors for the shifted EMA and the last 3 days. Please help.

profile picture

Cone

1. When posting code, please click the CODE button and paste your code between the tags.

2. I'm really not interested in promoting or developing scripts that peek. Why are you?