Execution: at close/open/market
Author: stefanpad
Creation Date: 3/17/2016 11:05 AM
profile picture

stefanpad

Hello.

What exactly does the function "at market" mean?

Example:
- closing price is 100.
- Based on last day's close I generate an entry buy signal at price 101.
- the next day the price goes up, closing at 102.
- day after opens at 102.50.

Am I right that execution will be as follows, depending on chosen functions as indicated:
- at close = 102
- at open = 102.50
- at market = 101

?
I am especially intered in the "at market. Am I right or what am I missing?

Stefan
profile picture

Eugene

Hi Stefan,

AtMarket is just a synonym for saying "at next day's (bar's) open". So:

AtMarket = 102.50
AtClose = 102

In both cases you don't know the price beforehand.

AtStop price = 101 (not the actual execution price)
profile picture

stefanpad

Thanks Eugene.

However, I am confused.

If tonight's close gives me an entry px level of 101, and tomorrow we would hit the 101 (& close at 102), why wouldn't the algo / backtest calculate with a 101 as entry price?

To be frank: that was and is a major assumption why we purchased this product and absolutely essential to the workings we intended to perform on WealthLab.

So this is major to us. Given all the great feedbacks I read regarding WealthLab I only want to believe that sort of basic functionality is certainly available and it was only me misunderstanding you, wasn't it?

Help appreciated.

Regards,
Stefan
profile picture

Eugene

Whether you'd issue a buy at stop at 101 for tomorrow or simply buy at market next open, the price has gapped up @ 102.5 next day and so both orders would execute at 102.5 (which is the opening price). How can you buy at 101 in real life unless it's an AtLimit order?

QUOTE:
If tonight's close gives me an entry px level of 101, and tomorrow we would hit the 101 (& close at 102), why wouldn't the algo / backtest calculate with a 101 as entry price?

Perhaps because your question doesn't match the explanation. Also you're considering AtMarket and at open to be different things, as far as EOD data is concerned.

I think we're having some misunderstanding here. If you could rephrase I'd show that Wealth-Lab is not much different in this aspect than other platforms.
profile picture

stefanpad

I'll have another look. I'm sure you are right Eugene.

I'll get back and thanks for the assistance.