Tiingo static and fundamental data provider
Author: Eugene
Creation Date: 7/1/2017 6:02 AM
profile picture

Eugene

MS123 LLC is proud to release a new static and fundamental provider delivers historical data for 37,000 U.S. stocks and ETFs from Tiingo. Like Yahoo!, it comes with a history of splits and dividends which can be applied on-the-fly and its data doesn't require refresh after a split or dividend.

Before using it you must register a free account at https://api.tiingo.com and then type in your API key in Data Manager > Tiingo

The provider is available for installation from our website (Extensions section):

Tiingo provider - installation link

Please read the online setup guide before using:

Tiingo provider online notes in the Wealth-Lab Wiki
profile picture

Eugene

ReneW wrote in a thread that existed:

I really appreciate the new tiingo data provider.

The problem is, I have inserted my username and password
and still getting the error below.
I am pretty sure, that the password is correct.

I tested my account with the help of a little python script, where I need the api token,
and that worked.
Whats the problem here ? I would assume, my credentials, but I triple checked it.

QUOTE:
[3] BZQ Error: Der Remoteserver hat einen Fehler zurückgegeben: (401) Nicht autorisiert.
[0] ASHR Error: Der Remoteserver hat einen Fehler zurückgegeben: (401) Nicht autorisiert.
[2] BOIL Error: Der Remoteserver hat einen Fehler zurückgegeben: (401) Nicht autorisiert.
[1] BIB Error: Der Remoteserver hat einen Fehler zurückgegeben: (401) Nicht autorisiert.
[4] CEFL Error: Der Remoteserver hat einen Fehler zurückgegeben: (401) Nicht autorisiert.

Addon:
The quandl data provider uses the API token.... I am wondering, why accessing tiingo
has beeen realized with username/password combination instead with the API token.
profile picture

Eugene

It's really unfortunate that it doesn't work for you. I have no problem downloading data from Tiingo:

QUOTE:
Updating DataSet 1 ...
[1] CEFL 899 bars 02.08.2017 899 bars added
[0] ASHR 941 bars 02.08.2017 941 bars added
[3] BOIL 1465 bars 02.08.2017 1465 bars added
[2] BIB 1843 bars 02.08.2017 1843 bars added
[4] BZQ 2045 bars 02.08.2017 2045 bars added
Update completed (2.918 sec)
----------------

Let's collect some evidence first:

1. Are your credentials from api.tiingo.com and not from some other part?
2. They are case sensitive. Have you double checked that they're entered exactly?
3. Can you log in on their API website successfully?
4. How many bandwidth and requests are left: Your API usage?

I'll mark to investigate into Auth Token authorization later this or next month but basic HTTP authorization works for me.
profile picture

ReneW

QUOTE:
Let's collect some evidence first:

1.) https://api.tiingo.com/
2.) checked
3.) yes
4.) I downloaded only the ticker SPY as a test case, enough bandwith left

SOLVED:

I can login on tiingo with <username>@<email.com>

_BUT_ WL data provider works only with username <username>

Sorry!

profile picture

Eugene

Okay, it was a basic check but still. Basic HTTP authorization the provider uses is so simple that there's hardly a place to fail. Maybe your username has some special characters? Or this might be something related to our different regional settings etc. It would be very hard to tell the reason given that it's impossible to reproduce.
profile picture

Eugene

QUOTE:
I can login on tiingo with <username>@<email.com>

_BUT_ WL data provider works only with username <username>

Glad you solved it while I was replying :-)

Username must be username, not email or anything. It's not the "WL data provider" but it's precisely the Tiingo API that accepts an account name and does not accept an email.

I've added a note to the Wiki page. Thanks.