System requirements
Author: sedelstein
Creation Date: 9/28/2016 1:10 PM
profile picture

sedelstein

Dumb question but...

https://www.fidelity.com/trading/advanced-trading-tools/strategy-testing/overview
says you need 3.2GHz processor for W/L
Does that rule out all i5 processors? Fastest I've found is 3.1

I am heading overseas and want to take a "very" compact laptop and looking for the smallest / bare minimum I can get away with

Thanks
profile picture

Eugene

Which means that neither one of my trusty development machines (including a 6-core desktop CPU) is even suitable for running this program. ;)

On a serious note, this page obviously does not reflect today's reality. A 3GHz CPU minimum requirement reminds me more of a hot 90-nm Pentium 4 or the like. The 82W P4 @ 3GHz is slower than today's 4W Atom PC on a USB stick that is okay to run a non-demanding EOD system. Considering that those infamously hot Pentiums had still been selling when WLP 5.0 was released, this requirement must be a leftover from 2007.

Considering how "aggressively" WLP utilizes multi-core (read: not to a full extent), even something low end like Pentium 3825U or an i3 might work a treat unless your trading system is demanding and you run it on large DataSets.
profile picture

sedelstein

oh OK, perhaps that page should be revised. Looks like I can get a pretty compact laptop and make it work
profile picture

Eugene

Today's ULV chips in compact laptops are powerful enough for WL6. YMMV if your system is computationally intensive, though.